Sunday, September 17, 2006

Inspiration III

Today was X-Fest and another opportunity to see Black Stone Cherry and bend their ears about my designs. In working on this project, it reminded me of another project I did many years ago as an exchange student in Germany.

I had a denim jacket that I wore everywhere and my cousin Niki, a very talented seamstress, musician, and artist, inspired me with some of her designs to make my jacket a masterpiece. In the days of album covers (versus the smaller CD cover designs), the logos of the bands of the day (Bon Jovi, Poison, Kiss, Whitesnake, Guns N Roses, Cinderella...etc.) were unmistakable. I drew many of them on the jacket, I think I may have also included Slash, the guitarist from GNR, and then some, or rather most, were then embroidered by hand.

HA! I’m sure my mother wondered where particular colors of her cross stitch and embroidery thread wandered off to before she saw me wearing the jacket. Then she kinda knew I had raided her thread.

I did as much embroidery as I could in Germany. After a while, I started adding patches from all the places I visited there, further adding to the unique factor. I think what happened to the jacket was it just finally dry rotted and at some point I removed all of the patches and, as it happens to things with holes around my mother (jeans, shirts, jackets), it was eventually tossed with all of my “artwork” on it. *Sigh*

But, I did at least find one picture with the jacket in it. This pic was taken the day before I left my host family to start the process of returning to the States. (Okay Blogger won't let me load the pic for some reason but you can see it here.)

In addition to the Black Stone Cherry jewelry, I’m working on my first bridal necklace, due... very soon. It is almost finished and when it is I will post a picture. I’ll also be working on two more chokers and a bracelet. I’m in the process of buying some jewelry from a friend of mine. I’m looking forward to getting it “in hand” so I can start some work I haven’t done before and that is working with sterling and trying out some new designs with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home